
The funnest band without a TV series
I don't like indie bands. Too many have left a bad taste in my mouth (or broken notes in my ears) with their pretentious music and lyrics. I want to listen to a band whose members generally enjoy life and inject that same enjoyment into their live performances. I listen to hear someone's good time or to hear some soft background music subconsciously transfer its positive vibes into my soul.
So when a seven-member group opened the show at Hawksley Workman's July 11 concert at the Flames Central in Calgary, I thought Oh, here we go. Better pop a Prozac now.
But then something amazing happened. Regina's Library Voices took the stage and kicked my ass with their youthful energy, beaming, genuine smiles and joyous team spirit. Everybody was singin' and dancin'. The bouncing bass player with the chest tattoo was all over that stage, but still didn't take away from the Robert Downey Jr.-looking guitarist (yum!) or the wild man on sax or the two lovely ladies bookending the gents.
I swear, they must hit the road in a 70s-era "Librarymobile" (not exactly as shown) and solve crimes while never getting into petty arguments like other bands. No pressure, guys!
Anyway, for the rest of you: Please see this band live if you get a chance. They whipped the pants off headliner Hawksley.
Look and listen here.
No comments:
Post a Comment