Since my last post was rather...stinky... I thought I'd get a little sappy with this one.
I've been feeling a bit nostalgic lately as the date nears for my big move into true adulthood. There are a few things I'll miss about my hometown, but just as many that I won't miss.
For instance, I won't miss the way people scrutinize my drive time when I tell them I commute from Morinville.
I'll miss the snow days because the high is shitty and I'm stuck in Morinville. I won't miss the highway drive in winter, passing 4x4 after 4x4 littering the ditches, as I struggle to keep my car steady on a black-iced highway while trying to get to a job worth much, much less than my life.
I'll miss that same highway come summer though, when traffic is light and the music is loud, and all the songs on the radio are goodies.
I'll miss my sweet, generous parents, and I'll worry about them daily because I won't be near enough to check in on them. I won't miss being their late-20s "basement dweller" or having to explain where I'm going or where I've been (a common courtesy for those you live with).
I won't miss having to turn down social events because I live in Morinville. At the same time, I'll miss being able to use Morinville as an excuse to turn down social events because I feel like being a shut-in that weekend.
I will miss my three little cats who can't come with me, my rental puppy, my sweet basement suite, the random neighbour cats I've befriended, the smell of sweetpeas from the garden, and the changing messages on the church sign as you come into town ("Trying times are not the time to stop trying").
But I won't miss weeknights away from my sweetheart, having to live an hour's drive away and communicating my phone. I won't miss not having windows.
1 comment:
When I moved out of my parent's home, it took me months to stop calling them to tell them where I was going and who I would be with.
Congratulations! Can't wait to hear more.
Post a Comment